Thursday, January 26, 2012

Beaming in Baltimore

I just realized that I never shared photos from our New Year's Eve adventure in Baltimore! We had an amazing time visiting our friend Colbey for 6 days and enjoyed taking in the city for the first time. First of all, Baltimore is rich with all things Edgar Allen Poe, thus I fell fast and hard. Visiting his gravesite was number one on my list of things to do. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find bits and pieces of his life all over the city. It was so easy to feel connected to Poe and I was thrilled!

The first night we arrived, Colbey took us to the Annabel Lee Tavern for some cocktails and snacks. The bar was dark, narrow, artistic, and magical. Poe was all around me as I sipped my "Glen's Unrest," which consisted of gin, simple syrup, fresh lemon juice, and champagne.




The next morning we woke up and decided to walk around the city a bit, visit Poe's gravesite, and grab crab at the famous Lexington Market.







The Lexington Market was a very cool experience. There was food from all over the world, interesting people from all different walks of life, and an overall happy vibe in the air. Oh, and of course the crab was to die for.

That night we went out a bit and visited a bar called The Horse You Came In On. Once again I loved the look and feel of the dark, haunted bar. It is rumoured that this is where Poe stopped for one last drink before his mysterious death.

The next day we woke up and it was New Year's Eve! Colbey had some friends coming in to join us from D.C., so we mostly just hung out and got ready for the night. We made dinner reservations at a delicious tapas restaurant right across from Colbey's place and enjoyed a unique meal with good people.


After enjoying delicious food and drinks, we ventured out to a few more bars before making our way back to the apartment. It just so happens that the city of Baltimore sets off their fireworks over the water, RIGHT next to Colbey's building. We decided to hustle back to the apartment to find our spot on the rooftop deck. Champagne was flowing as we welcomed in 2012 and watched the spectacular show directly above our heads!

Needless to say, it was a New Year's Eve to remember! Great friends, in a great city, with my wonderful husband! I am one fortunate little lady. We spent the next two days recuperating and eating, before heading back to our North Carolina cottage. I look forward to many more visits to Baltimore!


1 comment: